Updated March 20, 2020 – 2 pm ET
RTOERO is taking the following actions in response to COVID-19:
• All district events occurring on or before April 30 must be cancelled or postponed.
• All district-initiated in-person volunteer activities (for example, in-person Goodwill visits) are paused until April 30.
• In-person RPWs will be changed to virtual sessions until May 2 at the earliest.
• RTOERO staff will work from home from March 18 to April 3. Staff will continue to support and serve RTOERO members.
• The most direct way to contact the office during this period is by emailing email@example.com.
• The Presidents’ Workshop scheduled for April 19-20 and Health Workshop scheduled for May 10-11 have been postponed.
There is a global travel advisory to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice.
RTOERO trip cancellation/interruption and medical coverage will remain in place as long as needed for members to reasonably and safely return to Canada. Members in countries that have imposed travel restrictions will be covered until they are allowed to return to Canada. See FAQs below for examples of what is meant by “reasonably and safely.”
Call 1-877-346-1467 for information or assistance. Please be aware that call volumes are extremely high, and urgent/critical situations are being prioritized.
In order to prioritize members who are experiencing a medical emergency, if you need to open a claim for Trip Cancellation and Interruption you can start a claim online. The “Notify Us of a Claim” section will guide you through the steps.
· RTOERO has a pandemic preparedness plan to ensure that our core business functions will continue uninterrupted.
· We follow the advice and directives of federal, provincial and local public health officials.
· Members can learn the most up-to-date information by visiting our website.
· RTOERO is vigilantly tracking this issue, monitoring updates from the government of Canada, as well as our insurance partners.
· All decisions will continue to be made with the health and well-being of our members, staff and guests as our top priority.
RTOERO insurance coverage
Trip Cancellation/Interruption and Out-of-Country Emergency Medical Coverage
• Members now outside Canada will continue to have coverage for the period of time that is reasonably required to safely return to Canada. For most members, we expect safe return can take place within 10 days of the March 13 advisory. For those in regions or countries with restrictions on movement or travel (e.g. Spain, Italy), coverage will continue until the restrictions are lifted and you can safely return to Canada.
• Trips booked on or after the March 13 advisory are not covered for trip cancellation/interruption or emergency medical.
• Because of the advisory to “Avoid all cruise ship travel” issued by the government of Canada on March 9, you will not be covered for out-of-country medical coverage if you depart on a cruise after this date.
Visit johnson.ca/coronavirus for details and updates. Call 1-877-346-1467 for more information.
Questions and Answers
RTOERO Insurance coverage
Q. I have return travel booked after March 23. Am I covered if I wait and return to Canada as I originally planned?
A. The Canadian government is advising all Canadians to return while they can, as more restrictions on international travel are expected in the days ahead. With the formal advisory issued on March 13, you are covered until March 23rd or until you can reasonably and safely return to Canada. Be aware that international travel will be severely impacted in the coming days and we strongly urge you to make arrangements as quickly as possible.
Q. I am in a country that is on “lockdown.” Am I covered while I remain out-of-country until the lockdown is lifted?
A. Your coverage will remain in place until you can reasonably and safely return to Canada.
Q. Q. I feel that I am safer staying where I am than traveling back to Canada right now. Am I covered?
A. The Canadian government is advising Canadians to return to Canada while you can. Even if your area has little or no COVID-19 cases right now, this situation could change rapidly. Return to Canada as quickly as you can safely do so.
Q. I have been trying to call the 1-877-346-1467 phone number as directed by RTOERO and I can’t get through. What should I do?
A. If you can reasonably and safely return to Canada, please do so. If you require assistance in arranging travel, the Canadian embassy or consulate in your area may be able to help.
A. Our travel insurance coverage stipulates that once the government issues a travel advisory to avoid non-essential travel, you are only covered for the period required to reasonably and safely return to Canada. Unless you are in a country that is currently in “lockdown” (restricting public movement and/or travel), your coverage would not extend beyond March 23 or the earliest date you can reasonably and safely return. The Canadian government is advising Canadians to return home.
A. In this global pandemic, our only priority is the safety of RTOERO members. Those outside of Canada are urgently advised to return to Canada as quickly as they can reasonably and safely do so. Our members are in a higher risk group due to their age, and we are acting to safeguard our members’ health and safety. This is a very fluid situation that is changing incredibly quickly. We are aware of other insurers who have or are about to take a similar approach considering the serious nature of the pandemic and the prospect of further travel bans or disruptions.”
A. The trip cancellation/interruption portion of your travel insurance provides coverage to cancel a trip if the Canadian government issues an advisory to avoid non-essential travel or all travel after you book your trip, provided all other eligibility criteria are met.
On March 9, the government of Canada announced a formal travel advisory to “Avoid all cruise ship travel”. On March 13, 2020 the Government of Canada announced a global travel advisory limiting all non-essential travel outside Canada until further notice. (For travel advisories, go to https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices.) On March 16, the government announced additional restrictions.
Review your Insurance Plans Booklet for full coverage details or call our insurance team at 1-877-346-1467.
To prioritize members who are experiencing a medical emergency, if you need to open a claim for trip cancellation and interruption, you can start a claim online. The “Notify Us of a Claim” section will guide you through the steps.
A. RTOERO insurance plans provide comprehensive coverage for our members, subject to certain limitations and exclusions. There is no specific COVID-19 coverage – the same provisions apply regardless of the medical issue or assistance required. Review your Insurance Plans Booklet for full coverage details or call our insurance team at 1-877-406-9007.
Q. I am unable to return to Canada due to travel restrictions and/or government directives in my location. I’m nearing the 93-day limit. Will I be covered until I can return to Canada?
A. Your coverage will remain in place until you can safely return to Canada. You will be required to show evidence that you were not able to return prior to the 93 days. Please call 1-877-346-1467 to inform us about your situation and receive additional guidance.
Q. I am unable to return to Canada due to doctor-directed quarantine or isolation. I’m nearing the 93-day limit. Will I be covered until I can return to Canada?
A. Your coverage will remain in place until you can safely return to Canada. You will need to provide evidence of the quarantine or isolation order and to return as quickly as safely possible following your quarantine/isolation period. Please call 1-877-346-1467 to inform us about your situation and receive additional guidance.
A. Your coverage will remain in place until you can safely return to Canada. Please call 1-877-346-1467 to inform us about your situation and receive additional guidance.
Q.I’m out of country, but I’m not comfortable returning to Canada due to fears about exposure to COVID-19. I feel I’m safer staying where I am. What is the status of my travel insurance?
A. The government of Canada has issued a global travel advisory and urgently advised Canadians to return home. Your travel coverage extends for 10 days from the date of the March 13 advisory or until you can reasonably and safely return to Canada. Please call 1-877-346-1467 if you need assistance in making arrangements to return home.
A. Yes, you are covered, as outlined in the Insurance Plans Booklet. Please call the phone number on your benefits card before starting an out-of-country medical treatment.